If you’ve never considered pursuing a project-based, contract role, it’s time to take a closer look. Contract staffing has become increasingly prevalent in Architecture and Interior Design as firms initiate new projects and have short-term needs for talented and specialized Designers. Here are some of the top benefits of temporary consulting opportunities.
1. Flexibility. Consulting opportunities can allow you to vary your schedule and stray away from a predetermined week-to-week routine. They also give you the flexibility to test out a potential long-term employer and position before you make a serious commitment.
2. Exposure. Top firms often have more project-based positions open than permanent ones. Accepting a consulting opportunity allows you to join a prestigious firm to get your foot in the door and show them what you can do. This is especially beneficial if you are transitioning between firm types or project types.
3. Networking. Even if you don’t feel like you have a future at the firm at hand, with every job that you take on you spin a new web of connections. As your network expands, more people will have you on their radar and will contact you about other contract or full time job opportunities that could be the right fit for you.
4. Experimentation… Though some people dwell on the lack of stability that contractors may experience, one of the most rewarding aspects of these positions is having the freedom to explore new roles and responsibilities, thrive in different types of environments, gain useful skills and interact with a diverse range of peers.
5. …With Focus. With contract roles you don’t have to get sucked into the workplace politics of the company you are working for. Because you have been hired for a specific role on a specific project with a deadline, you can put all of your energy and time into gaining skills and producing results. This also allows you to test the work environment and see if it’s a place you see yourself staying for the long term.
So don’t be hesitant to explore the possibility of a contract role, especially if you’re not sure of the next step you want to take in your career. Consulting opportunities are fantastic ways to stimulate your creativity and propel your professional growth.
See our job board for both permanent and contract Architecture and Interior Design openings.